DVB-T in Latvia

Digital terrestrial television in Latvia is operated by Lattelecom, the main incumbent Telco organization, responsible for the nationwide deployment of DVB-T to provide terrestrial broadcasting of radio and television programs covering the entire territory of Latvia. Lattelecom Group is made up of six companies - SIA Lattelecom, Lattelecom BPO, Citrus Solutions and Lattelecom Technology with its subsidiary Baltic Computer Academy. 51% of Lattelecom shares are owned by the Latvian government, but the remaining 49% - by the Scandinavian company TeliaSonera AB. Lattelecom in turn owns 23% of the Latvian mobile operator’s Latvijas mobilais telefons shares.

Implementation of the first phase of the DTT project began jointly by Lattelecom and the LVRTC (Latvian State Radio and Television Centre) in August 2009. LVRTC’s first national DVB-T multiplex and additional two multiplexes from Lattelecom are available over-the-air to 95 percent of the Latvian population. Once the first phase is complete, a second phase will see the deployment of four additional DVB-Tmultiplexes. Thus by 2012—when the country’s DVB-T service introduction will be finished—there will be seven DVB-T multiplexes available in Latvia, all based on headend technology from GrassValley.

Latvian Multiplex 1 Transport Stream Analysis

The first Latvian DVB-T multiplex is operated by Lattelecom and provides 5 free-to-air channels (LTV1, LTV2, LNT, TV5 and TV3) and currently covers about 95% of the population. LTV (Latvian Television) is the state-owned public service broadcasting television company in Latvia. LTV operates two channels, LTV1 in Latvian and the youth-oriented LTV7 (earlier called LTV2) in Latvian and Russian. LNT (Latvijas Neatkarīgā Televīzija - Latvian Independent Television) is a major private television company in Latvia. Latvia is using MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) encoding.